Tuesday 24 May 2011




INTRODUCTION

Enjoy, if you will, the thoughts and memories of an 11/12/13-year-old (that's me, Charlie Flindt, 1969-1975) as he faithfully (or perhaps not) records eight terms at Marsh Court Preparatory School. A relentless daily routine of pre-breakfast music practice (if he wakes in time), breakfast, chapel, scrip/geog/hist/latin/maths/eng/science, lunch, rest, then 6 days-a-week sport (football/rugger/cricket), the new Broadbent-introduced Thursday alternatives (fencing/clay shooting), supper, mucking about, talking late, getting caught.

Shed a melancholy tear at the homesickness, the illness, the boredom, the stream of golden ducks (perhaps that was just me), the maelstrom of violence when we crossed the Test Valley to play rugger aginst Stockbridge Secondary Modern.

Relish the 'bates', the camps, the canings, the crashes (an inexplicably large number of these), and the constant countdown to the next sweets/half term/ end of term. Who can forget the thrill of crossing-off, then trunks out, then feast'n'films...then going home?

If you have forgotten the nitty gritty of prep school life in the early 1970s, perhaps this blog will remind you.


A bit of background might be useful. If memory serves me well, in 1973 Marsh Court was still in a state of change. Mr Wright's years in charge had come to an end (although I'm sure 'Boris' refers to him in the first term of 1973 - he seems to vanish without any fanfare at all at some stage) and Mr Broadbent was beginning to drag the school out of a 1940s time warp. Daring innovations included wearing 'mufti' for half-holidays (suede shoes!), Saturday leaveouts, alternative sports on Thursdays, plays and musicals, a separate choir for chapel - I think we even had our own bit built up in the rafters at the back. The chapel itself was given a complete makeover - a raised stage, big red curtains, a fancy altar, an electric organ. And when it came to technologcal advances, who could forget the electric shoe-shine machine that was installed to end the tradition of the staff (Portugese?) cleaning our shoes for us. Whatever next? The school seemed to be bursting at the seams: the old kitchens (ground floor, on the left wing as you entered the courtyard) were converted to class rooms (I remember EGB telling me about the cockroaches that poured out from behind the kitchen units as they were pulled out.) Class rooms were built up in the roof space above Swordfish, accessed my a murderously steep wooden staircase. Previously, all that could be found in the attic was Watty's train club (right up the other end) and Mr ffaulkes' air rifle range (above Rhino). The school bought a pavillion (after New Place had shut?) and put it in the moat as a music school. Many happy hours spent down there oiling my trombone with Mrs Stevenson. Mr Broadbent also downgraded the Headmaster's Office, moving it down to where the First Form used to get reduced to tears on a daily basis by Mrs Wright.

I'm sure I remember Mr Watkinson being less than thrilled by all the changes, and the friction being obvious to even the most dim-witted 12-y-old. Watty still had his specialities: the weekly statement of your pocket money (miss your appointment at your peril), the film projector (I tried being projectionist for one night; I got so involved in the film I nearly wrecked the machine - I forgot to keep the arcs at the right length or whetever it was), the old-fashioned train club, the school photograph (no matter how much he said "Keep still", someone always scratched.) I seem to remember the ever-present threat of phenomenal and random violence - but I must surely be mistaken.

Anyway, read on.....

UPDATE: Well. more of query, really. Can anyone shed some light on the 'mysterious events of Spring 1971'? More than one comment I've had through this blog has referred to it - something to so with Messrs Gross, Sudken, Wright and Broadbent and the takeover? All very dark and exciting! I missed the whole thing at the time of course, being an angelic 9 y-old.

9 comments:

  1. Jonathan of Weymouth29 May 2011 at 10:45

    The domestic staff were (Galician ?) Spanish; the younger men could "escape" from military service (ironic transposition!) under General Franco's twilight regime. Jose (?) also helped as groundsman,sometimes, under Colin Campbell's direction. One unruly Spaniard (did he smack Jane Wright ?) left under a 'cloud' and was rumoured to lurk in the woods. I would have put my money on Mrs Wright storming form as a latter-day Boadicea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathan of Weymouth12 June 2011 at 06:39

    The dying days of Spring Term 1971 and the prospective succession that never was? Guy Gross, a devout evangelical Christian,joined the MC staff from Cheam School in Autumn 1970 notionally intending, along with Anne(MCA Wright's god daughter?)and Andrew Perry, who remained at Cheam, to succeed the Wrights.Negotiations fell 'at the last fence' (so it appeared on the surface!) and Guy left at the end of the Spring term,eventually paving the way for Earle and Stella Broadbent. Peter Gilbert (and family)took over Guy's timetable for Summer term only (he had a job fixed up for September).Doreen Alma Smith (a battling Yorkshirewoman)also left at Easter and Stephanie Greenhalgh (Art & Form 1) replaced her.Gross and the Perrys later took over St Piran's Maidenhead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ran a children's holiday at Marshcourt in the summer of 1974. The Council for Colony Holidays (as we were rather grandly known) rented the place for several summers. It really was an extraordinary building. I remember Mr Broadbent well. He was tried in old age for allegedly interfering with girl pupils in the 1980s but was found not guilty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was at Miss Sprules Secretarial College in Winchester with Anne Wright the daughter of the then headmaster of Marsh Court. This was about 1969. I would visit the school and have tea there. Mr. Wright who I think was called Maurice was eccentric and a little distant but Mrs. Wright was charming and seemed to have the boys' welfare at heart. Anne was shocked when her father sold the school somewhat suddenly and naively (cheaply) to the new management. But my visits to that magnificent Lutyens building form some of my fondest memories of that time. I don't suppose you would know how I could contact Anne Wright now?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was at Marsh Court from 1976 to 1981 - so missed you by one term. I have very clear and vivid memories of Marsh Court. Looking forward to reading the diaries.
    I am pretty sure the staff were Filipino. No shoe-blacking in my time, but I do remember them in the room with the dishwasher. I also remember that someone brought a birthday cake from home for eating at their table - and left it in the pantry ... the Filipinos thought it was left as a gift for them and ate it themselves :-)

    jdc3579@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guy Gross was an emotionally, mentally & physically abusive PEDOPHILE. He should never have been allowed to teach or be near children. He should be in jail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were saddened to hear that Guy Gross, Headmaster from 1972, to 1980, passed away on Thursday 16th July 2015.
      Guy was born in 1938 and was an accountant and graduate in Law. He took on the Headship of St Piran’s with Andrew Perry in 1972, following the 46 Tippet years. In Lowther Tippet’s words, ‘As you will appreciate, I would not dream of handing over this school, which has been in the family for 46 years, to anyone I did not consider suitable. I would, therefore, like to emphasise that I feel entirely happy about the people taking over, and have no doubt the School will be carried on in the same tradition and to the same standards as in the past.’
      Building on the foundations of Tippet, the number of boys grew rapidly to some 180 boys, thus providing funds for developing the facilities. By the time Guy Gross retired through ill health in 1980, the school had been transformed by the addition of an outdoor pool, a theatre and concert hall, a new gymnasium, library and science laboratory.
      Guy Gross remained in regular contact with the school since leaving in 1980, often visiting to preach in Chapel

      Delete
  7. I am saddened to learn of Guy's death and that we lost touch some time in the 1980s. He was a good friend and colleague during my first two terms at Marsh Court. I seem to remember him writing to me about his forthcoming marriage to Betty Harris (Head Mistress of the Cedars School, Rochester ?)and that the cheers at school assembly resembled those ata cup final! Despite our differences over religious matters, we got on well and I admired some of the prep. school evangelicals of yesteryear, such as The late Rev.John Eddison, also a friend of Guy's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My memories of Marsh Court were of Parish Holidays (Holy Trinity, Clapham)in the early 50s. Organized by Rev. Neil Nye and ably assisted by my father who was People's Warden, we Londoners had idyllic holidays at that lovely Lutyens building. I fell in love with my future wife on one of those holidays, so my memories of those times are very dear.

    ReplyDelete