Sunday 22 May 2011

Summer Term 1974

24/4: Back to school. Form Upper VI and Hartebeest.
25/4: We had the usual fire practice and Geog, Hist, Maths and Latin. Have moved down in dorm.
26/4: First day with full lessons. Had cricket for the first time as I had fencing yesterday.
27/4: Have an absolutley superb half-hol. Play british bulldog and piggyback fights.
28/4: Sweets are now 5p (VAT).Have indoor half hol, but after tea we played british bulldog.

29/4: Have first Monday and german 1st lesson. Have scripture with Broadbent. Time is already going very fast.
30/4: Today was the first Tuesday. Yesterday Mum came to Harrods and brought my trombone. Have grog.
1/5: Have now been back a week. I forgot to say "white rabbits". Yesterday Mum went to Winchester prison.
2/5: Have fencing again. Buccanan is the only newcomer. I have to look after him. 2nd Thursday.
3/5: Have reading in English and have a bad singing lesson. Batted for 11 not out.
4/5: Throw a ball in and hit wicket. Have 2 golden ducks. Have good day.
5/5: 2nd Sunday. Have a really good game of 'kick the can' and 'courtyard be [?]'. Also I did a bit of gardening. Got to sleep late.

6/5: Have german 1st lesson. Do music practice. Have scripture and other lessons. Play cricket.
7/5: Have choir pratice again. I am getting rather sick of it, twice a week.
8/5: Have 5 pence sweets again. Now we spend 10p a week on sweets. Time is going really fast.
9/5: Have fencing. Have been at school for 2 weeks now. Have 3 sweets.
10/5: Have singing. Tomorrow we have got our first match. I might be in it. Time is going fast.
11/5: First match, and as usual I was out for a golden duck. We lost anyway. Mr Fawtral [?] was in a bad mood in Latin.
12/5: A bit of the school went out. Already this is the third Sunday. Listen to Top 20 in lower 6th.

13/5: Monday morning; have german first lesson. Mr ff sets us some work. He is going tomorrow.
14/5: Mum sends me a birthday card to send to Dad. Lots of boys go to Versailles.
15/5: Send Dad's card off. have sweets. Today we had a match and we won by 4 runs. I was out for 0.
16/5: Dad's birthday. Top forms go to Canford to see displays. Go into sick dorm with athsma.
17/5: Am in sick dorm all day. Gallon comes and joins me. Swimming pool is clean.
18/5: Go out and come back into school life. Bring back suede shoes, bat, ball, gloves, sellotape. Am happy.
19/5: Already 4th Sunday. Time is going so fast. I can't keep up with it.

20/5: In german we did the work that had been set for us. Also in french we did the same.I did a Marsh Courtier cover in art. Yesterday Shoebridge went for his scholarship. Barnes went today.
21/5: Have scripture. Am still off games. Have science. Go to sick dorm again. Am feeling very bad. Wallace is in bed but not in sick dorm.
22/5: Mesquita moves in with me. That night he snored the loudest I have ever heard anyone snore. It was shocking. I had to go into the other sick dorm to sleep.
23/5: Stay in other sick dorm with Wallace. Read comics and listen to radio. It is really boring. Miss fencing.
24/5: Listen to senior singing class in flat. Have tea with Nicola and Mr and Mrs Broadbent.
25/5: One week since I went out. Stay in bed and get up after lunch. Go into flat and watch television.
26/5: Go downstairs just before lunch. Have really good fun in half-holiday. Soon half term.

27/5: Did not wake up in time for music practice. Have german and french, do M Courtier covers in art.
28/5: I got up for music practice but I could not find music so I played dot cricket. Soon we are going home.
29/5: Mum comes to match and we lose. First swim of term. Can't be fagged to swim.
30/5 - 3/6: Half term

3/6: Back to school. Go to Winchester and buy a pen and a Sven Hassel book. get my hair cut and go to new dentist.
4/6: Back at school. Am terribly homesick. Tomorrow I have got music lesson. Have good biro.
5/6: Have a match against West Hill Park. It is a draw. get two runs and am out caught.
6/6: Have fencing. Garner [Corner?] bust a blade stupid fool. Have fenced for 5 weeks. Match on Saturday.
7/6: Tomorrow we are playing a match. If Mum and Dad got my letter they should come.
8/6: Match versus New Place. Win. Am out second ball. Very annoyed. Mum and Dad come.
9/6: Have good fun in half-hol. Have sweets. First sunday after half term.

10/6: I had german for first lesson. Do not do music practice. Do a train in art.
11/6: Tomorrow we have got a match versus Pilgrims. I hope to be in it. Have bilge about sex.
12/6: 1st XI vs Pilgrims. See See Slater, Thornton and 2 Busherers. Score 5 runs. Thornton is going to Bradfield.
13/6: Have fencing outside. It was very warm. We had a super swim. French prep. Have trombone lesson.
14/6: Hane singing. Do Capt Noah. I think it is a waste of time. Do athletics in games.
15/6: Go out. Bring back chewing gum
16/6: Eat some of the chewing gum. Yesterday we had a terrible storm. We also had one this following night. Have sweets.

17/6: Get most of the Common Entrance results. Only one to fail so far is Rees. White got his results on Sat (he passed). Simon Collison has not got his.
18/6: Prepare for match. Have 3rd instalment of our biology lessons. Have choir practice.
19/6: School photograph. Have match. 1st XI and Colts vs West Downs. I had only got 1 run when we declared.
20/6: Have fencing. It is really good fun nowadays because I help teach. 4 weeks until the end of term.
21/6: Am going out tomorrow. I hope Ian is as well. Have singing. 1 week until we are going to RSCM Radley.
22/6: Go out. Ian is at home. Give him my matchboxes. Bring back hat.
23/6: Tomorrow we have got the exams. I wore my hat on the half-hol.

24/6: EXAMS!!! I am doing the Winchester Entrance. Have Latin 1, maths 1, Science. They are not too hard.
25/6: Have much more exams. Still doing Winchester entrance. Have a two day cricket match.
26/6: Have Maths and Divinity, which was really easy. Get caught out of bed.
27/6: Go to Radley to sing. Mum comes in the coach. See the organ. Have a super service. Grade 4 on monday.
28/6: As I was caught out of bed, I was not allowed to swim. Have to do washing up.
29/6: Fathers' match. It nearly rained. So we had loads of preparations. But it was a great match.
30/6: Have 8p sweets. I bet it knocks down my pocket money a bit.

1/7: Have Grade IV music exam. I think I did quite well. Miss the first 2 and a half lessons.
2/7: Have double biology. Clear out the lab store and put all the benches back in the playroom. 16 days to go.
3/7: Have sweets and half-holiday. Do long jump and triple jump with Wallace and White. 15 days to go.
4/7: Have 1st XI match versus Marlborough under 14. We got 107 for 5 declared, they got 19 for 1 when rain stopped play.
5/7: Have super day. Swim. Do music practice. Only one more Friday. Only 13 more days of boredom to go.
6/7: 12 more days of boredom to go. Swim in morning. Choir go to Kng's Somborne. Have loads of group 2 mentally handicapped people come.
7/7: 11 more days. Have sweets. half hol, swim. All yesterday's things happened today. Have great fun.

8/7: 10 more days. Gosh, I'm getting happy. Make Freddo frog. Have handiwork instead of maths.
9/7: Have double science. Have no French, which is a relief. Do music practice. 9 days until end of term.
10/7: Do not wake up in time for music practice. Have sweets and music practice. Only a short swim. Have great games.
11/7: Crossing off. Swim. Only one more week until the end of term. Last science and classical studies.
12/7: Have last singing. I think Ian breaks up today. Last friday. Yesterday had swimming and fencing.
13/7: Have 'informal concert' or 'termly bore'. Play 'Tin Soldiers' again like last year with Mrs Stevenson. Play trombone.
14/7: Swim in morning. Last Sunday. 4 more days until freedom. Swim in half hol.
15/7: Last Monday. I have not got the end-of-term feeling yet. I hear I am going to France with Cave.
16/7: Have last Biology lesson. Do anything we like ; I cut up a worm. Phone up Mum about France.
17/7: Finish leagues. My league came last equal with Gallon. I came 2nd in 200 metres.
18/7. Break up.

1 comment:

  1. Does anyone remember a building north east of marshcourt - might have been a store room or used as a chapel? brick oblong building

    ReplyDelete